WHERE : BOM / Items List / Items List
ITEMS ( more commonly referred to as MENU ITEMS to avoid confusion with INVENTORY ITEMS ) are what you actually make available for sale via your POS APP, WEB APP, E-SHOP, MOB APP.
MENU ITEMS can be anything at all that you are going to sell and ( hopefully ) make a profit on. There are many options and settings you can make that affect the way this works.
Your MENU ITEMS can also be linked back to your INVENTORY ITEMS via RECIPES for STOCK CONTROL and COSTING.
You can organise their SORT ORDER, assign COMMON MODIFIER GROUPS, create complex IF / THEN structures using RELATED MODIFIERS, integrate into weighing scales, add images & descriptions, SKUs, EANs, assign PRODUCTION PRINTERS, TAX RATES, STORES, create date / time based availability, exclude from LOYALTY or GIFT CARDS…
When you are using STOCK CONTROL, VENDOR INVOICES will assign a COST to the INVENTORY ITEM, the RECIPE will apportion a COST to the MENU ITEM and the COMMON / RELATED MODIFIERS.
How you set up your MENU ITEMS will be very dependent on how your staff sell your wares and if you intend to give yourself an online presence enabling your customers to view and buy your goods and services.
This article will look at the options available.
The FAQs section will examine different scenarios for different Channels of Trade.
Think carefully about your ordering process and how you want to be selling in the future, before you start entering MENU ITEMS in your BOM.
List Menu Items
Navigate to BOM / Items List / Items List
Note the controls across the top of the screen
As well as check boxes and drop downs
- Show Cost and Margin
- Recipe Availability
You have sortable & resizable columns called :
- Name : This is what will show by default on your POS APP, WEB APP, MOB APP, KITCHEN PRINTER, Customer Receipts, etc
- UPC : This will be any barcode you have on your MENU ITEM
- SKU : The Stock Keeping Unit
- UOM : How you have defined your selling unit.
- Category : The MENU ITEM CATEGORY to display your MENU ITEM in
- Active : When turned on, the MENU ITEM is available for sale. Please note that this is different to using the POS APP to “STOP” a MENU ITEM. “Stopped” will still appear on the POS etc. INACTIVE will not be visible at all.
- Price : This is how much you sell your MENU ITEM for, including any TAXES. It does not include any adjustments from MODIFIERS. Is used to populate your Base Price List.
- Current Cost : Where you are doing inventory management and entering supplier invoices, and your MENU ITEM has a RECIPE, putting a tick in “Show Cost and Margin” will populate this field. This is a KB / FAQ discussion all by itself.
- Margin : See the point immediately above.
- Has Recipes : RECIPES are the link between MENU ITEMS and INVENTORY ITEMS. While they are covered separately, an icon here indicates the existence of a RECIPE.
At the bottom of the screen you have options to jump between pages and set the number of MENU ITEMS to show per page. As well as an indication of page number.